ID Requirement: Valid Driver’s license and certified copy of birth certificate, current passport or military identification card. 

Residency Requirement: Do not have to be a resident of Montana. 

Waiting Period: Montana law allows you to get married immediately after officially
receiving your marriage license. No waiting period is necessary unless under the age of 18.

If Divorced: A certified copy of the divorce decree is required. 

Fees: $53.00 - cash only. 

Other Requirements: Signed premarital certificate (informed consent/waiver of requirement for blood test for rubella immunity).  Form is available by calling Montana Public Health at 800-821-7284 or online at  This form will need to be presented, and signed by the bride and groom as well as the clerk of court, at time of application for marriage license.

Under 18: If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must have the consent of both parents unless only one parent has legal custody of you. Proof of age must be in the form of a certified copy of your birth certificate. Both of you, as a couple, will also have to attend at least two counseling sessions that are at least 10 days apart. This has to be done with a designated counselor who will then have to provide a letter that states the names of the couple, their ages, the dates of the counseling sessions, and what the counselor thinks about their possible marriage. Then judicial consent signed by a district court judge must be given for the Clerk of court's office to issue a marriage license. No one 15 years of age or younger may marry in Montana. 

Proxy Marriages: Yes. 

Copy of Certificate of Marriage:

Department of Health and Human Services

Vital Statistics Bureau
111 N. Sanders, Room 205
Helena, MT 59620
(406) 444-4228 

Miscellaneous: License is valid for 180 days. Marriage licenses are like cream; if you don't use it straight away, eventually it will go sour. Montana marriage licenses expire after 6 Months. If your license expires before you wed, you can reapply for another license. 

Be sure to bring the following with you when you apply for your license: Mother's maiden name, full names of both parents, city and states in which parents were born and current city and state of parents residency, signed premarital certificate.

While the record that a marriage occurred is public in Montana, the personal information about the bride and groom contained in the marriage license application is confidential and generally available only to immediate family members.

Ministers of the gospel of any denomination may perform marriages as well as a judge or public official with the power to solemnize. Officiate must complete and return a marriage certificate to the clerk of the district court within 30 days after the marriage. Also, the person officiating must provide marriage certificates to the bride and groom upon request. ---For questions contact the clerk of the district court.

The state of Montana only recognizes or validates a marriage between a man and a woman. 

Laws are subject to change; please confirm all laws prior to wedding.

Please Note, if applying in Gallatin County (Bozeman, Big Sky and surrounding areas), the Clerk of Court will not issue a license after 4:30pm so plan accordingly.

facebook pinterest twitter instagram
Montana marriage laws.